We are back from 4 fun filled days at the beach! Our vacation included sleeping in, frolicking on the beach, a daily afternoon nap and lots and lots and lots of eating. I ate with abandon on this trip: ribs, pancakes, ice cream, eggplant Parmesan, hash browns, grits…I did not hold back. I was on vacation! I also laid off the working out. I wanted to just relax and enjoy this time with my family without stressing about when I could fit my workout in.
Now that we are back home, I feel like a big ole bloated mess. It is time to get it back in gear! I thought I would share with you guys how I like to kick-start the vacation recovery.
1. I LOAD up on fruits and veggies. I LOVE my Nutribullet. I usually start the morning off with one of these bad boys. I fill it with spinach and every kind of fruit I can find. I’ll even throw in an avocado on occasion. This one had spinach, strawberries, blueberries, mango, pineapple, ground flax and almond milk. I’ll munch of raw veggies like carrots, celery, sugar snap peas, zucchini, cucumber, and cauliflower as snacks. I may do another shake in the afternoon and I make a huge salad for dinner. I do add in protein powder to the shakes or eat lean protein like chicken breast or fish at meals to get my protein intake. My focus is vegetables and fruits though. All that fiber loading gets everything, ehm, “moving” and cleans me out. I feel so much better after a couple of days of this.
2. I drink lots and lots and lots of water. I try to drink at least 80 oz of water a day and aim more for a gallon. All that water also helps flush out my system and get the bloating back under control. I am not a plain water fan. I just won’t drink it. Some things I’ve learned to help me drink water are:
- Find a large cup I like. I love the 20 oz Tervis tumblers. The insulation keeps the water cold longer, they don’t sweat, and the fitted lid makes them very portable (and toddler friendly). Plus I love all the fun designs. I usually get mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon. Gotta save that money!
- Drink with a straw. I will drink three times as much water if I have a straw in the cup. I think about it less. I just work, drink, work, sip. Before I know it, the cup is empty. Maybe because there’s less effort than having to pick the cup up and tilt it to my mouth?? I don’t know. It just works!
- Find an added water flavor I like. I went through several favor add ins. Most of them were too strong and too sweet for me. I got turned on to Nuun Optimal Hydration through the running community. I was using it on long runs to replace electrolytes in addition to hydrating. I loved it. I now use it in my regular water intake. I like using one tab for 20 oz. It’s the right combo for me – not too sweet and not too strong.
3. I get in a good, tough sweat session. Kind of self-explanatory here, but I hit the gym or the road hard. Nothing gets me back on track better that sweating it out! It starts the week out right and gets me back into the right mindset.
What do you do to get back on track?