Sorry for the lack of posts this week. It’s been a busy week. I had to take Baby Z to a new dentist this week. I’m so happy to report he did GREAT! The only tears were when he had to sit by himself for a quick x-ray on his front teeth. He fell down a few weeks ago and chipped his front teeth. They sadly saw some root deterioration on one tooth. We’re just going to wait and watch and see what happens. If it keeps getting worse they may have to extract that tooth. 😦 But he was such a trooper for the rest of the exam. He opened wide and just smiled and waved at everyone and NO cavities or other issues. Yay!
We also had our anatomy ultrasound scan this week. Also a bit nerve wracking. But we received a great report! Everything is right where it needs to be and the doctor has no concerns. We also confirmed that we are indeed having another boy. We saw the boy parts. Ha!
We are now between 19 and 20 weeks along. I cannot believe we’re already half way! Eep! I thought I’d do a pregnancy update and discuss my running while pregnant.
Running and exercise:
The doctor said my uterus is sitting pretty low with this baby. Not a medical concern, but it would explain the bladder discomfort. I have to empty by bladder right before walking out the door and even after about 2 miles I feel like I have to pee again. I’ve been running near the house, at the gym, or close to a public bathroom in case I need to dart in for a quick pit stop. Some other things I’m noticing:
- My heart rate shoots up quickly during my runs. I have to take more walk breaks because of this. I’ve adopted the 80/20 philosophy right now. I run 80% of a mile and walk 20% of the mile. It’s working really well for me so far.
- That first mile is TOUGH. The first mile always sucks while my body and joints are warming up, but it seems to REALLY be tough now. It’s taking a lot longer for my joints and breathing and heart-rate to stabilize after that first mile. So, I’m just taking it really, really slow and easy to allow my body to warm up adequately.
- I’m slowing down…a lot. But I’m ok with that. I’m trying to not even be concerned with pace right now. I just want to get out there and keep moving.
- I don’t tolerate the rising heat well…at all. As the summer gets hotter and hotter I know I’ll have to take my workout to the gym more and re-embrace the “dread”mill. I’m not a fan of the treadmill at all but a gal’s gotta do what a gal’s gotta do. Right now, running early is working for my outside runs.
- Splitting my runs up is working for days I want more mileage. I may do 3 outside in the morning and then take it to the gym at lunch for 3 more. I only do this one day a week because it really wears me out, but the big sweat session feels really good.
- I had to buy some new running clothes to accommodate my expanding belly. Right now I’m LOVING the bubble mesh tops from Old Navy! They are so thin and comfy and I think they will be a good fit through my entire pregnancy since the bottom is very loose. You can adjust the tie at the bottom to allow for more or less room. I bought it in five different colors!
I’m actually feeling pretty great right now. I have that second trimester energy burst and feel really good. I do get tired quickly though. It hits me like a brick. BAM! All of a sudden I am exhausted, usually in late afternoon. I try and take a quick power nap when I can. Usually 30 minutes to an hour and I’m recharged. I feel best in the mornings so I try and get my workouts done before noon.
I’ve gained 6 pounds so far. I started this pregnancy 5 lbs over where I like to be, so I’m feeling a little heavy and bloated but I’m not obsessing over the scale. I’m just trying to eat healthy and keep moving. I know the weight will come on and the weight will come off.
This baby is really similar to Baby Z in that respect. I’m actually craving healthy foods! I cannot get enough watermelon and cantaloupe and peaches and grapes and…I want ALL the fruit! Ha! I’m also loving raw veggies with hummus or guacamole or ranch dressing (I know, not super healthy). I’m using the little individual ranch dressing packs to keep my serving size in check. I’m tearing through bags of mini carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini and cucumber. On the bad side, I’m craving salt a lot too. Salted mixed nuts and Lays potato chips are my vices right now.
Stayed tuned for further updates as this pregnancy progresses!